Weirdness Flows: Home Page / Index

 


Index of posts

If you want to ignore the introductory waffle and get straight to the song commentary, the links are here (to be updated as I post them):

The full ranking list is here (also to be updated as I go along).


If, however, you are interested in a bit of explanation...

Introduction

I want to say up front that I do not consider myself a Dinosaur Jr 'expert' - there will be many people who read this who know more, own more, have seen many more gigs than I have... But I am a fan and an enthusiast (one of my kids has the middle name 'J' in honour of Mr Mascis) and my overriding aim in writing this blog is to celebrate 40 years' worth of incredible music.

I am going to rank all 171 songs. This is something I have previously done with The Wedding Present and Cinerama - although I have never attempted it with The Fall, the aritist about whom I have written the most (including a book) - but I am well aware that many people find the whole concept of ranking music reductive and pointless. Which it undoubtedly is: but there is great joy to be had in exploring a back catalogue and trying to assemble it into some kind of order. 

All I would say is this: if you would like to engage in the process and provide constructive criticism and disagreement, then fill your boots - I'd be interested to hear your views. However, if you're firmly in the 'reductive and pointless' camp, then then that's fair enough - but can I give a polite and respectful reminder that nobody's forcing you to read this...

I have spent a long time listening and re-listening to these songs, and it's been an absolute joy. I hope you enjoy reading and (dis)agreeing with my thoughts. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weirdness Flows: The Songs of Dinosaur Jr (161-171)

Weirdness Flows: The Songs of Dinosaur Jr (141-150)